Message from the Head of the Department
Computer Science Engineering is a field that focuses on analytical abilities and skills to solve problems in science, education, healthcare, business, government, entertainment and in all walks of modern life. It encompasses the methodology, tools and techniques, and theory of information storage, management and communication.
Students aspiring to join CSE should have a sound knowledge of fundamentals of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. In addition, knowledge of a programming language such as C, C++ or Java is preferable, although not a strict necessity.
Computer Science Engineering offers a plethora of opportunities both in Software companies and higher studies. Since Computing is applied literally in every walk of life, many jobs exist for Computer Science Engineers. Moreover, the application demand in the field attracts a lot of funding, creating a window for students to opt for higher studies. Government organizations like ISRO, DRDL, ECIL and BEL offer jobs to computer science students. There are a number of multinational and national software companies, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Amazon, IBM, Facebook, Oracle, Cisco, Infosys, TCS and Wipro to name a few, that offer jobs to computer engineers.
There was a sudden Technology upheaval in the past five years, the Industries expectations have raised higher and the focus started shifting from theory to practice. In Computer Science and Engineering, 4G Technologies have replaced the 3G technologies ,the databases are replaced by Data warehouses, Big Data analytics have took over Datamining, Mobile technologies have gained focus while existing Web Technologies have discovered a complete new dimension in the form of rich, dynamic, interactive web pages that improved the user experience beyond comparison.
The flexibility in course design under Autonomous scheme allows the Department to incorporate these changes in the curriculum in the form of free electives where the student can choose a major focus area and specialize, improving his chances of being picked up by a company providing services in that specific domain.
At MVGR, the focus has always been to transform an aspiring student into a professional Engineer with necessary skills that make him employable. While academics is only one dimension, soft skills which include Communication, Interpersonal and presentation skills, ethics, leadership, practical and value driven education areother dimensions that are given equal importance by the Institution. The Library and Sports facilities stand out among other infrastructural support offered by the Institution.
|M.Tech||CN & IS||18|
- Being formally recognized as a professional in your field & gaining professional status often helps get a more senior.
- Being able to mix with others in your profession both socially and professionally & get support in lifelong learning and training.
- Having access to technical knowledge in the form of text books, online resources, journals and training courses.
- Being able to contribute your expertise when a new regulation or policy needs to be put together e.g. setting standards.
- Being able to promote your field in society & able to mentor younger members to help them develop further.
Student Chapters : IEEE, ACM, CSI
Department of Computer Science & Engineering strives to become a center par excellence for technical education where aspiring students can be transformed into skilled and well-rounded software professionals with strong understanding of fundamentals, a flair for responsible innovation in engineering practical and robust solutions applying the fundamentals, and confidence to meet the challenges in their chosen professional spheres.
Aspire to reach higher quality benchmarks in training students on all skills expected of a computer professional through:
- A meticulously planned yet flexible learning process administered:
- By accomplished teachers who are encouraged to keep in touch with latest developments in their respective areas of interest
- With state-of-the-art infrastructure providing a stimulating learning environment.
- Thorough and compassionate student-centric delivery
The Choice Based Credit System allows students to move to Institutions across the world with flexibility to transfer their credits.The proposed CBCS allows the students to choose from core electives, free electives and audit courses. 29 elective choices are provided out of which a student has to choose any 8 elective courses that he/she would pursue in various semesters starting from 1 elective in 5th Semester, 1 elective in 6th Semester, 5 electives in 7th Semester and 1 elective (a self-study course with optional attendance requirement) in 8th Semester.
The electives are divided into 3 thrust areas, Business Intelligence, Networks, Enterprise Architecture and 1 Generic group, with each of the thrust areas having 7 electives and generic group having 8 options. Any student should choose 1 of the 3 thrust areas in which he/she will do 4 electives thereby indicating that thrust area as his/her major choice. The thrust area has Level 2 courses four of which are advanced, are designed to cater to Industry standards and are dependent on two Level 1 courses. One Level two course has no dependency.Any student should also mandatorily choose 2 electives from the generic group. He can go to a maximum of 3.
He picks 1 of these 2 groups as his/her minor group and picks 1 Level 3 or 1 level 3 and 1 level 4 from that group. This way, the course structure has been designed to allow complete flexibility to students while at the same time, preserving dependencies between the core (prerequisite) courses and the advanced(Research/Industry oriented) courses.
The need for add-on courses is to improve the skills and increase the employability of students. At MVGR, in house training is provided by Industry and Academia experts. Training on specific tools is conducted typically biannually in the college. Certifications are offered to students on Industry related courses at a subsidized cost, apart from encouraging them to take atleast a MOOCs course for self study by the completion of their graduation. Also, through the IUCEE consortium, experts from abroad conduct online training through webinars in addition to periodically visiting the institution and conducting workshops on emerging fields in Computer Science and Engineering. Some of the add-on courses offered by the Institution are:
- CCNA: is a gateway to entry-level networking jobs and IT careers. Students will learn how to configure and manage simple computer networks and they will be given hands-on exposure to configure network routers and switches in basic and advanced modules.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH): Designed to provide the tools and techniques used by hackers and information security professionals to break into/protect an organization.
- OCPJP: Students will be trained for writing Certification exam offered by Oracle for Java Programming.
- SQL Basics: Students will be trained for writing SQL Certification exam by Oracle.
- PEGA: A placement oriented program, upon finishing which VIRTUSA Corp offers placement.
87% students from 2013-17 batch are placed in different MNCs like TCS, Virtusa-Polaris, Sonata, Nagarro, Miracle, Innovate apps, Tilicho Intern, Cyient, Apps Associate, Efftronics, Dazeworks,Abhra Inc,Webnoo Technologies, Artech Info, CaddyCode, Full Creative ,CodeNovus, Multiplier Solutions, Trianz, Com Tec etc.
Email – [email protected]
Department No. With Extn. - 08922 241732, Extn. -- 501,502