Message from the Head of the Department
Students interested in working closely with society & serving the society can choose Civil Engineering. Providing various amenities & creating required infrastructure for all societal needs forms the prime goal of any Civil Engineer. The societal needs such as Shelter, Drinking Water & Waste Water Management, Movement of people & goods through various modes of transport such as Roadways, Railways, Airways & Urban Transportation Systems, Management of Water Resources through Dams & Reservoirs are addressed by a Civil Engineer. Communication, Organizational, Leadership and Decision making skills are very important to civil engineer as every infrastructure projects requires huge man power and team management. Key skills that differentiates a Civil Engineer from others are emotional intelligence and Creativity with societal responsibility.
Tremendous job opportunities await civil engineers every year as infrastructure needs of the state are continuous and ever increasing. Key job areas can be
- Govt. Organisation – Engineer Incharge positions in Irrigation, Road and Buildings, PanchayatiRaj, Rural Water Supply, Municipal Corporations, etc.,
- Private Organisations – Major infrastructure development companies such as L&T, Gammon India, HCC, GMR Infra, Navayuga Engineering Corporation, NCC, LASA, ShapoorjiPallonji Group, Numerous Thermal and Hydel Power Corporations, Medium Level Contractors, etc.,
- Public Sector Companies - NRSC, Indian Railways (RRB), Survey of India, ONGC, NHPC, NTPC, HPCL, BPCL, BHEL, STEEL PLANT, ISRO etc.,
- Civil Engineers have a great chance to start their Entrepreneurial Ventures and Consulting Firms compared to other disciplines given the fact there is a large shortage of quality civil engineers.
- Higher Education and Research.
Infrastructure forms the basis of economy in the near future. There is a severe shortage of quality civil engineers in every corner of the country in Govt. and Pvt. Organizations. Every state in the country is gearing up for greater leaps in infrastructure development opening up numerous opportunities. Various Govt. proposals such Metro Transport in Tier-I and Tier-II cities, Smart Cities Mission, Road Development goals of 292 km of expressways, Capital city of Andhra Pradesh Amaravati, etc., offer greater chances of employment for a quality civil engineer.
AT MVGR, emphasis is given in equal proportions to both classroom knowledge and practical applications. Academic curriculum is designed to meet the expectations of industry and research organizations. Teaching learning process is designed to enable the students to acquire sound technical and practical knowledge. Add-on courses in addition to regular curriculum provide the students with necessary tools/ skills(apart from those in curriculum) being adopted in the industry.
In addition to add-on courses, Guest Lectures and Field Trips enable students to envision the most recent trends both in the technical and industry spheres. The department also offers consultancy to various Govt. and Pvt. Organizations that gives the students excellent opportunity to work on real time projects.
Further, Campus Recruitment Training (CRT) programs conducted on a regular basis help the students to develop general aptitude and communication skills. Special sessions are conducted for students interested in taking competitive examinations (GATE) and Mock Tests are also conducted enabling students assess their knowledge beforehand.
- Highly Experienced Faculty with strong industry and academic background; 7 faculty hold Ph.D; 5 more faculty are pursuing doctoral research
- Majority of faculty are post graduates from NIT’S, IIT’S
- Well-equipped laboratories, Dedicated Department Library and Seminar hall
- Guest lectures by eminent faculty and industry personnel
- All round development through regular activities by Professional Body
- Career counselling for students
- Add on programs to help students gain additional skill set (apart from curriculum) in tools such as STAAD PRO, GIS, Autodesk Revit, EPANET, Project Management Tools
Department of Civil Engineering has a local student chapter of Institution of Engineers (India) completely organized and maintained by the students who are members of IEI. This chapter is actively conducting technical events for the students to enhance their communication and presentation skills and also providing a platform to showcase their talents and competencies. A sample list of events includes paper presentations, poster presentations, group discussions, bridge making competition. It also arranges guest lectures by eminent personalities and field visits to students either to industries (like cement or RMC) or construction sites as a supplement to the classroom and laboratory learning.
To be prominent in producing Civil Engineering professionals with the technical proficiency and outreach who are ethically sound, globally employable and capable of addressing societal challenges to improve quality of life by providing sustainable solutions
Aspire to reach higher quality benchmarks in training students on all skills expected of a computer professional through a meticulously planned yet flexible learning process administered:
- Impart and enrich students with technical knowledge and problem solving skills
- To have well qualified and experienced faculty on board.
- Offer a teaching-learning process abreast with changing industry needs
- Build the best infrastructure and offer a nurturing environment to the students.
- Create synergy among academics, research and industry to increase outreach of the graduates
Programme Educational Objectives
PEO 1: DOMAIN KNOWLEDGE Graduates will have the fundamental knowledge of mathematics, science, economics and
computing and in-depth knowledge in Civil Engineering concepts through theoretical, laboratory and project based experiences so as to design, develop and solve engineering problems.
PEO 2: EMPLOYMENT Graduates will get employed in national and international; government and private organizations, and will succeed in their chosen engineering careers through their skills, knowledge, personality and aptitude for innovation.
PEO 3: HIGHER STUDIES & LIFELONG EDUCATION Graduates will have ability to pursue advanced degrees in engineering and other fields; and will have skills of continued, independent and life-long learning to become experts in their profession by self instilled passion and systematic approach.
PEO 4: PROFESSIONAL CITIZENSHIP Graduates will have the ability to organize and present information, to write and speak well, work effectively with strong organizational skills in multidisciplinary teams on team-based engineering projects and practice ethics and have a sense of social responsibility.
Program Outcomes (POs)
- a) An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- b) An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- c) An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- d) An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- e) An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- f) An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- g) An ability to communicate effectively
- h) The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- i) A recognition of the need for and ability to engage in life-long learning
- j) A knowledge of contemporary issues
- k) An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Civil Engineering Program at MVGR is a well-thought-out program that provides graduates with a strong background in mathematics, basic sciences and engineering mechanics. The eight semesters autonomous education ensures that the graduate gains the knowledge and skills provided through a multi-pronged approach such as Interactive teaching-learning process through classroom education by highly qualified and experienced faculty - Direct hands-on experience with frequent field visits - Updated industry and research trends with Guest Lectures and Workshops conducted at least twice every semester - All round development with Professional Body Activities. The curriculum is ratified every year by a panel composed of Leading Industry and Academic Experts ensuring that it meets every needs of the industry and research.
- Remote Sensing, Geographical Information System and Global Navigation Satellite System
- The course is conducted in association with Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), Dehradun
- Students will get an idea of application of Remote Sensing and GIS Tools in solving numerous problems related to urban transportation, water resources engg, environmental engg and impact assessment, etc
- EPANET (U S Environment Protection Agency)
- EPANET a water distribution system modelling software package intended to analyse and design water distribution networks such as Drinking Water Supply Mains for a locality/ area/ city
- Students will gain knowledge of water supply engineering in general and water distribution systems in particular
- The software training helps in proper planning, analysis and design of water distribution systems.
- The software is being used by major infrastructure companies such as L&T, Gammon India, HCC, Various Govt. Organisations
- AUTODESK REVIT STRUCTURE
- Revit Structure is an emerging software package that enables civil engineers develop a 3-D Model of a structure with greater details (unlike many other 3-d modelling tools such as 3DS Max, etc.,) which can be used for efficient planning and execution of projects.
- After successful completion of the course, students will able todevelop a 3D model of the structure with complete structural detailing of structural elements such as Beams, Columns, Slabs.
- The software is being used by major infrastructure companies such as L&T and there are number of potential employment opportunities for Revit Certified Personnel in foreign countries
- MS Project is a project management tool that is very much essential for site execution of project works
- Student will gain knowledge about concepts of work breakdown structure, project scheduling and management.
3 Students, S.Prudhvi Raj, G.Sushma and S.Sai Manoj Kumar have been selected in campus interviews by MSK Consultants & Engineers.
Email – [email protected]
Department No. With Extn. - 089222 41199 (Extn – 102)